Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I want to live a reckless life.

I was reading old emails today and I found the following words. I wrote them to someone most dear, just before graduating from college and just before I did a couple of things some people called crazy.

In many ways, I want to live a reckless life. I don't mean stupid and
irresponsible (but maybe sometimes), I mean reckless for LIVING, for

doing things that are exciting and adventurous, unexpected and
passionate. In all aspects of my life I want to do the things I say
"I want to..." I never want to look back and say "I wish I had..."
It is never too late. Life will never run out of adventures, but I
don't want to miss the opportunities for the ones right in front of my
face.

I don't usually make resolutions with the turn of each new year, but this time around I'm considering it. I still have that desire-- the burning heart that wants a life of adventure and romance-- and wants it so deeply. Those words above, they still ring true.

But I've grown up a little.

I've learned that even when I don't regret doing "crazy" things, sometimes the long-term effects are still undesirable. I made life changes once that were absolutely right for me at that moment. But even now the effects linger, and I am left wondering how different my life would be now if I had made the more likely decisions.

I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Don't you feel it? Isn't there something in a great story, in the crescendo of the most gorgeous piece of music, in the way the waves pound the shore? It's something that makes your heart beat faster and your eyes grow wider. It's your heart and it's asking you for more. More life! More risk. Just asking-- please, please take that chance and just see what happens.

Maybe it's the worst idea ever.

Or maybe it will change everything in your life, forever.


post signature

1 comment:

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

Proud of you, sweet friend. Proud of you for taking risks and then learning from the effects even when they were less than desirable. I so admire your heart and passion. It is inspiring to me!