Tuesday, October 13, 2009

NEWSFLASH: Seasons are all the rage this... season.



I've just finished reading Susan Isaac's new book called Angry Conversations with God: A Snarky but Authentic Spiritual Memoir. And I mean really? If that title doesn't make you a little bit curious, why are you even reading my blog? Before I dive into my thoughts, I want you to know that I highly suggest you read this book if you've ever wanted to (or actually) scream: "What the F**K, God?" Because I have, and if you haven't, I'd venture a guess that you're lying to yourself.

Moving on.

Isaacs talks about various relationships throughout her life, both romantic and not, and how they have shaped who she is in different seasons. I agree with her, that we are made for relationship; God made us this way. But somehow her words have made me look at that fact from a new angle.

I've always thought of dating as a process that is necessary to find The One. (Dun dun duuuuuuuuuuun.) You know, like your mom always said when you broke up with someone (again), you just take the good qualities from this guy and from the guys before him and you refine what you're looking for in a man.

I mean honey, at some point can the search be refined anymore? And can we please skip the awkward dinner conversations? Kthanks.

If a person seems likely a weeeee bit close to the Prince Charming in my head, and I somehow impress him with my overt sarcasm and propensity to chew the inside of my lower lip while reading, we might date for awhile.

BUT.

What if dating isn't always about finding The One? What if dating is God putting skin on for a season? By this I mean, I think God sometimes puts people in our lives to date for a period of time to change us. The relationship can help things die that need to die and help grow things that need to grow. And maybe there are several seasons of death and rebirth and growth, but still not all seasons. Perhaps God is giving us "our person" (that's my friend Sarah's phrase) only for a time.

God created us for relationship. Supremely, relationship with him, but also relationship with each other. Doesn't it stand to reason then, that even if a relationship is not THE Relationship, it is still something to work at, to embrace, to cultivate in its season? But further, it's something to let die when that season is over?

I'm bad at letting go.


post signature

No comments: