Friday, October 10, 2008

The Looming Future

Or, not so much looming. I'm anxious for it. It really wasn't that long ago that the peace I felt was deep inside me. I remember a moment of looking at the people around me in the midst of work and feeling such deep satisfaction. And I was making a sandwich in a little restaurant.

I can't imagine that the satisfaction I felt at that moment and for so many other moments around it existed as a result of my job. No, it must have been something more. That is the question then: what is it deep inside us that creates peace? Is it inside us? Is it external? Is it both?

So I search for a job or a location or a situation that will help me find that peace again. Perhaps it is a combination of all those things, all aspects of life that roll up together and create joy.

I think our lives change with the seasons and sometimes we aren't ready for that inside ourselves. But the colder winds force us to go back and grab a jacket, and maybe a scarf and hat too, and wrap ourselves up to keep what's inside us there, to keep the warmth a part of us. The atmosphere will undoubtedly continue to change, and so will we. But with each new season we step into, we bring a piece of each passing one, and so we grow.

No comments: