Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday Letters: John Piper, you drive me crazy.

Dear John Piper,


I like you. I've learned a lot from your writing, but seriously, you drive me bonkers. Sometimes you make these huge sweeping statements or quote the "author's translation" of scripture verses that kiiiiind of change the meaning completely. (And don't even get me started on your tweets-- or these.) I don't try to be nitpicky when I read your stuff, but sometimes.... aaaiii yiii yiiii!

This is not what is annoying to me though.

What is annoying is how often I think you're right.


Some friends and I are going through your book Desiring God. This week we were discussing the chapter on money, and wouldn't you know it, this is a topic I've been thinking a lot about lately, what with my great lack of cash and all, and you busted me in that chapter, John. You busted me.

I would never have admitted this even six months ago, but historically I am highly materialistic. Shopping? Yes! New makeup? Total necessity. High heels in all colors & styles? Well, of course, they're for work! Hair products, business suits, new bags, bottles of good wine, great gifts for friends, dinners out, new outfits for every.single.wedding.event? Hellllll-to-the-yeah! (Oh sorry, you probably don't like it when Christians cuss. Oops!)

Now that I've moved, I'm spending more money every month on bills and my resources dwindle to just enough for food, exercise and gas-- okay fine, I still get a haircut every five-to-six weeks-- but the point is, my lifestyle has been forced into change.

Now John, you stinker, you keep saying over and over again that my desire for happiness is so weak that I settle for "fleeting pleasures" that are never going to satisfy the deep parts of my soul. Slap! in. the. face. Becuase you're right! I know you are. Everytime I swipe my little credit card to buy something I don't need to live, I know you are right.

Mr. Piper, I agree with you when you write: We can be content with simplicity because the deepest, most satisfying delights God gives us through creation are free gifts from nature and from loving relationships with people...Buying things contributes absolutely nothing to the heart's capacity for joy.

And I am challenged when you ask: Have you learned your attitude toward money from the Bible, or have you absorbed it from contemporary American merchandising?

I am hopeful when you say: God increases our yield so that by giving we can prove that our yield is not our god.

I understand, John, that I am currently incapable of proving that my yield is not my god. I'm humbled by the fact that I can't even prove that with a very small amount of money. I understand that my heart is depraved & in such desperate need of Jesus that I can't even work out my finances without him.

And for some reason, that I am sure is pure grace, I have great hope in my total lack of individual ability.

__________________________________

I found this picture of Piper with Mark Driscoll with the caption: "Don't worry, John Piper is about to turn the other cheek."

:)



post signature





3 comments: