Friday, April 17, 2009

It is Not Failure

This video keeps popping up all over the internet.

I've had so many thoughts about Susan Boyle and the implications of her stunning performance going viral in a matter of days. But my ideas had not developed to the extent of this word from Wayne Jacobsen.

In my journey towards understanding the value of humility, and towards humility itself, words like Jacobsen's tear into me:


"And while I understand those who would love to see their passion find a greater voice and place in the culture, it is not failure for God’s grace in you to touch the people he has put before you, rather than the unknown masses. Your story is not validated because it spawns a book; your song is not more precious because it secures a recording contract. So sing, write, paint, plant, nurture, design, act, and build however it brings joy to your heart."

I encourage you to read Jacobsen's post. It has simultaneously gladdened, humbled and freed pieces of my heart.


post signature

No comments: